Know your Trajectory

Technical posts & reviews on kit

Know your Trajectory

Postby Bowie EA » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:41 am

Hi all,

HFT is all about knowing the trajectory of your own rifle, scope and pellet combination. Don't worry it does not need to be all technical and lots of maths!

Basically copy the picture attached into "Word" and blow it up until it is the full width of the page. Now print it off. Number the targets 10m to 45m. Set the paper out at 10m and fire 3 shots at the 10m target aiming at the centre. Move the paper back to 15m and repeat, 3 shots at the 15m target aiming at the centre. Now do this for all targets. Always aim at the centre.

What you now have is a series of small groups that will be below the target at 10m, then gradually above the target at about 20m and then on your zero, to back below the target after your zero.

This is now your trajectory of your pellet at HFT distances.

I will shoot one over the weekend and upload it later.
Enjoy
Attachments
pellet drop 001.jpg
pellet drop 001.jpg (190.81 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
Bowie EA

Re: Know your Trajectory

Postby Bowie EA » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:51 am

Ok I did the trajectory target shoot on Sunday morning. Unfortunately the wind was gusting and as such grouping was a hit and miss effort. By the time I got to the 40m target the pellets were on the edge of the paper and I had a left/right spread of 50mm.

I will see if I can find an indoor range or some time when the wind is calmer. Very early morning I think.

What was good though was to get some practice in again in the wind to try and "fly" the pellets in.

Hope someone else has a go and posts their results too. Remember this is not who gets the best grouping but what is the trajectory of your pellets.

Cheers
Euan
Bowie EA

Postby AGF » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:33 am

I am gonna give it a bash with the HFT Slayer of mine ...( BTAS / MIlbro Elan ) :twisted:
AGF
Site Admin

Postby Bowie EA » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:42 am

Ok I managed to get out with my .177 HW97K on Sunday morning when it wasn't too windy. Below gives a good indication of what I was trying to show.
Attachments
pellet drop HW97K email.jpg
pellet drop HW97K email.jpg (156.28 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
Bowie EA

Postby AGF » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:14 pm

This is a good idea to do this with any new air rifle and become well acquainted with it. Even in centre fire shooting . It is amazing how many people think a rifle ( Any rifle ) shoots dead flat . They have no under stranding Of ballistics. We try educate people and find many that are so surprised by what we show them
AGF
Site Admin

Postby Codi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Slightly off topic . We had a client in yesterday that brought in his Air Ranger for Mr Bossman to check . The client was shooting all over the place at 15m ...then the Bossman sat down behind the rifle and shot a ragged little 10shot hole 1cm high and 1cm to the left of the bull at 50m , the client was so upset after he repeatedly could not shoot even an inch bull at 15m and the bossman carried on shooting good groups at 3 times the distance . I learned alot from this , the shooter is a major equation in the shooting cycle . The client was gripping the gun with white knuckles and snapping his eyes closed everytime he pulled the trigger . He kept telling us that he felt the error was on the gun because 'he' could not shoot it correctly. He felt that it was irrelevant that other people could accurately shoot his gun . Eventually the bossman asked the client to relax and forget about shooting for the week and come back next weekend. Even the clients wife was shooting 10 / 15mm groups at 50m , shucks that just made him even more angry and fristrated , thats when the bossman suggested they go home and relax and he would look at the rifle , to try "fix it". Can you believe it , I was so shocked :o
Codi

Postby Saxon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Best to work out trajectory! but fill it in with all the correct details including altitude etc. I have printed out my reticle with all the info on it and it works like a charm!
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/apps/chairgun-pro.html
Saxon

Return to Technical & Reviews