MTC Viper scopes - Genesis Model

Need any information on scopes, post it here , lets hear what people have to say about their brands and experiences

MTC Viper scopes - Genesis Model

Postby AGF » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:56 pm

MTC Optics have done it again with the recent introduction of the Genesis 5-20 X 50

The build quality and overall design is very good. MTC’s customer care is excellent too, so there are a lot of happy shooters out there. Over the last few years, all the new additions to their range and the Mamba, Taipan and Connect have all been impressive, none more so than this new Korean made model.

Packaging is very professional. The box contains the scope, a screw-on 3” sunshade and set of Butler Creek, flip-up lens caps. The Genesis has a 30mm tube. The saddle has the usual windage and elevation turrets and side-wheel parallax / focus ‘wheel’. The target-style turrets are protected by screw on caps. Each click on the turret moves the point of impact ¼” at 100 yards. Beneath the saddle is a small circular housing that has the coil erector spring inside; this is in place of the more usual flat spring inside the scope and is a more robust method of ensuring the internal image moving system remains in place. The side-wheel, which focuses down to 10 yards on full power, ‘snaps’ targets into focus sharply.
The magnification adjustment ring rotates smoothly from 5 to 20 magnifications. It has a raised ridge incorporated into it to allow for a secure hold even in wet conditions. Mounted at 45° on the eyebell is an 11-position rheostat for illuminating the AMD reticule, a battery is included. Only the tiny floating centre crosshair illuminates, making this another ideal choice for night time hunters who need to cull or perform varmint or pest control. Getting the crosshair in focus is made easier due to the fast-focus eyepiece.

The Advanced Mil Dot (AMD) reticule is, as its name suggests, an advanced long range Mil-Dot pattern. The ‘Mildots’ are in actual fact small circles with ½-Mil hash marks in between. The circles allow targets to be acquired long range, and the actual target may be viewed through the circle to ensure you are putting the projectile where it is meant. The reticule is true at x10 magnification, so it can be used as a conventional Mil-Dot system if required. This also allows for the scope to be used for range estimation and holdover.

The design and build is stylish and the matt black anodizing faultless. The tube is nitrogen-purged to prevent fogging and is both water and shockproof. The Genesis is tips the scales at 769 grams. The lenses are fully coated .Overall length is 14” and 17” when the sunshade is fitted.

Testing on the range was performed on top of a Bull Barreled Truvelo 300WSM along with Lynx steel mounts and rings. Timing only allowed testing out to 300m on the Surefocus shooting range outside Henly-on-klip , south of Johannesburg , on two occasions. Results were very pleasing. With the rifle zeroed at 100m all 5 shot groups printed small clover leafs at 100m. Reloads were made up of Winchester cases, CCi 200 primers, 61 grains S365, and 180 grains PMP BTSP. Once the zero is set, loosened the grub screws on the turrets and set them to back to 0. This makes resetting the zero easy when adjusting the turrets on the range or in the field. You get 36-clicks per rotation (9”) and nine full turns are available, which adds up to a top to bottom of an acceptable 81 MOA , so there’s more than enough movement available. All adjustments are positive and repeatable. When adjusted and reset, the zero returned to where it was originally set. Changing magnification does not alter the point of impact. The image clarity is very good, in bad light conditions, like dusk and dawn. The minimal depth of field is another bonus, the parallax adjustment wheel allows for a crisp focus on targets. .
Overall this scope is an impressive all-round performer and the AMD reticule had plenty of aiming points for holdover from 50m out to 300m , 400m and 500 m .

Many shooters equate MTC Optics with airguns, but those who do, are doing themselves a disservice, as all MTC optics can be used on any firearm, no matter what the power source. All scopes are rated up to and including use on the .50BMG.
AGF
Site Admin

Re: MTC Viper scopes - Genesis Model

Postby Codi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Post a pic please!!! :evil:
Codi

Postby mike » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Hello Codi

I have a Genesis to and what a good scope that is....It is brilliant for long range shooting. Combat look and the AMD reticule does it for me. Codi when we going to the range. ????? What scope do you have. ?????
mike

Postby Ruger » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:29 am

I would love to see the pic to, give him hell codi,,, we want pics please.
Ruger

Postby Ruger » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:31 am

What range do you guys go to. I am looking for a good range, all the rangers here are full of yes that is correct.

Let me know what range please
Ruger

Postby mr h » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:25 pm

Those Genesis scope are evil scopes, i looked at one the other day and i will buy them all if i had the cash.

Brilliant scopes for hunting and target to. Love them
mr h

Postby mike » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:03 pm

They are very nice scopes these, i have one to and they are perfect for hunting. Targets to
mike

Postby Kat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:43 am

Mike

I hear they are good scopes and the price is very good on them to and the quality is also very good.

That will be my next scope, have a few others in the cupboard and will get on of these later on.

Thank for the info
Kat

Postby mr h » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:53 am

You gave me the price last week on them and i did a bit of research and they are very nice and i am very keen to get me one of them to. They are the 30mm tube and have the IR to hey.
mr h

Postby Kat » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:28 pm

Not bad, googled it over the weekend and the wright ups are great on these scopes. Will love to try one out and see how they perform.
Kat

Next

Return to Telescopes / Teleskope